Quasarbeach Fairlight CMI IIX recreation

It's like an old dream that comes true.

When I was a teenager, I remember the guys on radio and in music magazine mentioning the Fairlight name as if it was pure magic from godness. They said it was used in the remix of Duran Duran Notorious song (I don't know if it's true, actually; but I associated the beginning of the remix to the so called "Fairlight sound").
I read later that Trevor HORN used it a lot on Frankie Goes To Hollywood Relax and Two Tribes; it was big for me (I'm a FGTH fan since 1984).I also recall that COIL use a Fairlight on Scatology, and I remember asking myself how a underground band like COIL could affort (or use) such an expensive machine, even at the time of Scatology.
At this time, I don't really know what was it; until then I learnt that it was the first sampler machine.
Then I also discovered how the Fairlight manage to tune its samples, by internal clock, and that it uses analog filter in output; all this makes a special sounding sampler.
And I didn't know at first that it was only 8bits samples. And when I started making music with FastTrackerII I was annoyed by using 8 bits samples, because I found them unusable.

Now I already have the iOS version on my iPhone (Vogel CMI), it's interesting, it sounds good (did they manage to emulate the Fairlight sound (though it may seem very odd to say this for a sampler, which is a generic instrument by essence) ?) but the workflow, though very close to original (it seems) is not very good. And worse: it is not possible to output the 8 tracks on separate outputs like the original beast (in AudioBus for example, or in 8 track WAV export).
This PC Linux/Windows/Mac version is a surprise. I played with it a bit, it's fast! But I didn't take the time to make a song.



https://adamstrange.itch.io/qasarbeach



Comments