Blog now started
I began working on several album remixes:
  • Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
  • Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
  • Ryuchi SAKAMOTO - Merry XMas Mr Lawrence
  • Harold BUDD - Lovely thunder

The first versions are available on my SoundCloud.
Rare unofficial AHM trance remix sleeve

Silence in the studio
It's been a long time since I had the idea and dream to make a (trance) remix of Atom Heart Mother, it was an old dream. I liked the original 1970 Pink Floyd track, but I found it very inequal in quality and interest, some passages are boring or dull, and for example, the horse and motorcycle noises on the intro are out of place, while others are really trippy, in my opinion.
I also discovered the famous "limited edition" trance remixes attributed to The Orb.
I first made some remix experiments by slicing the intro and rearranging it quickly, but instead of sounding techno or trance, it sounded just dull, shit.
Then I left it for months... Until I started real trance remix of Momentary Lapse of Reason.
Now it is restarted for real, with real sample extracting work with Audacity.



Random precision
Meanwhile, I started many other projects, including remixing Shine On You Crazy Diamond, it was less a dream than Atom Heart Mother, but it was more appropriate for a remix. I just found that the opening synths and guitar solo were perfect for trance remixing: I like when fragments of the original made a seamless magma of sound, instead of just inserting samples of song at some places inside the remix, all along drums and bass, and others. And it appears to be true in this case.

I'm not a pianist (Harold BUDD)
This also works perfectly when I tried my approach of trance remix to the first track of Harold BUDD's Lovely Thunder LP of 1986, one of my favorite. At first, I was reluctant to remixing Harold BUDD (and Shine on you crazy diamond), because I thought his works were untouchable, but it would be silly not trying it.

Forbidden colors
For Merry Christmas Mr LAWRENCE, it was different, I justing think it would be cool to make it.
And there are many little songs with sometimes sparse arrangements, so easier to remix.
I even thought at first that I would use the same BPM on all songs, with the same drum kit... in a way to unify the resulting trance remix LP, but it is not a good idea, and no really meaningful.






Comments