Autechre about the audience (and the internet)


Recently saw a post from Pitchfork subscription on FaceBook about Autechre, not quite my cup of tea, but always intrigued by this band, though.
So I read the interview and agreed on some thoughts, notably the fact that many people can make music now ... and wants to make almost the same music than others, in the trend.

Personally, I won't pretend that I make very special music (in my trance remixes, I precise) but I don't want to sound like what I hear. Anyway, I don't listen to the trend, I just like the last Aphex Twin releases for example, to cite the more recent music I heard. And at this point, I would say that being inspired by Aphex Twin (for example Syro or Collapse) is almost being inspired by generic abstract music, since Aphex Twin crosses so many moods and ambiences. The common thing is his taste for meticulous work on everyhing in his music (drums, synth sounds, for instance).

From https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/autechre-interview-nts-sessions-david-lynch-where-code-meets-music/
Quote:
"Lynch is a great example of somebody who appreciates the sophistication of the audience he is working with. He doesn’t patronize his audience. That’s missing from a lot of music out there. One of the things about the internet is that everybody can be very quickly educated on music, but that’s a double-edged sword, because you’ve got a bunch of artists who are desperate to fit in. Everyone’s in a rush to sound the same. At the same time you’ve got this audience who have got access to fucking everything that was ever made, so the audience is actually extremely sophisticated. It’s a weird paradox. You hear a lot of stuff with the same kind of synth lead and the same sucky compression and the same kick drums, the same long chords. It’s incredibly conservative. Then you’ve got this audience who know about Xenakis and Stockhausen and they’re fucking 16-year-olds. I see that as a great opportunity to make things that are genuinely a bit weird."

Now, I listent to more Autechre and find them more interesting than I found... I think that I first disliked their use of saturated drums, that was the reason.

Comments